The information below represents a few of the notable calls for service handled by the Verona Police Department between Monday (8/28) morning and Friday (9/1) afternoon. This information is not all-inclusive, but rather preliminary information gathered from officers who investigated the calls.
- 8/29/23 @ 8:30 a.m. – An officer observed a vehicle speeding and also run a red light. The vehicle was stopped, and the officer detected the odor of marijuana. A search of the vehicle yielded drug paraphernalia and a loaded handgun. The 27yo female from Milwaukee was arrested and booked into jail for Carrying a Concealed Weapon, and she was cited for multiple traffic violations.
- 8/30/23 @ 9:40 a.m. – An officer checked on a vehicle in the park-and-ride which had substantial damage and an open trunk. The officer located a male sleeping in the vehicle and saw drug paraphernalia in plain view. The 35yo male was woken up, and a search of the vehicle yielded paraphernalia and marijuana. He was cited for Possession of Marijuana.
- 8/30/23 @ 1:16 p.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle for traveling 85MPH in the 55MPH construction zone of USH 18/151. The 23yo Verona man was cited for the violation.
- 8/31/23 @ 4:05 p.m. – VPD officers were present at and around Glacier Edge Elementary School during the visit from the First Lady of the United States. Scene security and traffic control was conducted.
- 9/1/23 @ 3:06 a.m. – As a vehicle passed a parked squad, the officer detected an odor of marijuana. When the officer began to follow the vehicle, the vehicle pulled into a closed business parking lot. The officer stopped the vehicle, and the 24yo Madison female driver was uncooperative. In addition to marijuana, the odor of alcohol was also detected by the officer; however, when asked, the driver refused to perform a series of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. The driver was arrested for OWI-1st Offense and a judge endorsed a search warrant to seize a sample of the driver’s blood. A handgun and a 50 round magazine were seized from the vehicle and a 23yo male passenger from Madison was arrested for Going Armed While Intoxicated and Felony Bail Jumping. (Link to full media release)