The information below represents a few of the notable calls for service handled by the Verona Police Department between Monday (7/31) morning and Friday (8/4) afternoon. This information is not all-inclusive, but rather preliminary information gathered from officers who investigated the calls.
- 7/31/232 @ 8:51 p.m. – An officer was flagged down by a passerby who reported an individual slumped over in a vehicle on Richard Street. The officer located the vehicle and the 34yo driver displayed signs of intoxication and multiple open beer cans were observed in the vehicle. The man refused the officer’s requests to perform Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, and he was arrested for OWI-2nd Offense. An evidentiary chemical breath test result was 0.20.
- 8/1/23 @ 3:01 p.m. – A 24yo man from Madison reported a 25yo Pardeeville man was a coworker of his and had physically assaulted him at a job site. The victim had visible injuries and the investigation resulted in the Pardeeville man being booked into jail for Battery, Disorderly Conduct, and Bail Jumping.
- 8/1/23 @ 5:00 p.m. – VPD hosted its 38th Annual National Night Out Against Crime (NNO) from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. There was a landing and tours of a Blackhawk helicopter, a K9 demonstration, emergency vehicle tours, prize/raffle giveaways, and more. Free hot dogs, pull pork sandwiches, chips, ice cream, and water were available for all to eat. If you’d care to see photos from the event, you can find them on Facebook here!
- 8/2/23 @ 2:40 p.m. – A retail business called to report a theft suspect was back in the store. The suspect had stolen merchandise the previous week. Officers located the suspect leaving the store, and the suspect greater officers by stating, “I’m sorry.” The investigation determined the suspect intended on stealing that day by cutting a security cord; however, he did not remove the merchandise from the store. The 27yo man from Spring Green was booked into jail for Felony Retail Theft reference the previous week’s incident, and other charges will be sent to the DA’s Office when all investigation are completed.
- 8/2/23 @ 8:42 p.m. – K9 Drea and Sgt. Kile responded to the Village of Marshall along with multiple other agencies to assist with an armed robbery in which the suspect fired upon the responding officer. See Marshall PD’s Press Release here.
- 8/4/23 @ 1:55 a.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle for traveling 60 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, as well as unsafe lane deviation. The 49yo male driver from Madison displayed signs of impairment, SFSTs were administered, and the man was arrested for OWI-1st Offense.
- 8/4/23 @ 12:56 p.m. – A vehicle was stopped for having expired registration. The 25yo male driver from Madison permitted officers to search his vehicle, in which suspected heroin was located. The substance was field-tested, and the result showed fentanyl was also present. The driver was arrested for Possession of Narcotic Drugs.