The information below represents some of the notable calls for service handled by the Verona Police Department between Friday (5/5) evening and Monday (5/8) morning. This information is not all-inclusive, but rather preliminary information gathered from officers who investigated the calls.
- 5/5/23 @ 10:16 p.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle because it was being operated without its headlights on. The odor of marijuana was detected by the officer, who in turn searched the vehicle and seized marijuana and drug paraphernalia. The driver (16 of Verona) was cited for Possession of Marijuana and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. The driver was warned for the traffic violation.
- 5/5/23 @ 10:29 p.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle for a speed violation. The odor of marijuana was detected, and a search of the vehicle yielded two dozen THC vaporizer cartridges, marijuana, packaging materials, and drug paraphernalia. The driver (18 of Madison) admitted he sold the THC cartridges and, was in fact, on his way to sell THC cartridges when he was stopped by the officer. The offender was arrested and booked into jail for Possession of THC with Intent to Deliver and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.
- 5/6/23 @ 2:58 a.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle and determined the operator (55 of Blanchardville) was violating bail conditions by operating without a valid license. He was arrested and booked into jail for Bail Jumping – Felony and a Probation Violation. Additional charges of Operating After Revocation and Failure to Install an Ignition Interlock Device will be referred to the DA’s Office.
- 5/6/23 @ 3:22 p.m. – Officers were dispatched to assist EMS with an individual who was huffing a hazardous substance. It was determined the individual went unconscious at one point due to his activity. The male (33 of Janesville) was arrested and booked into jail for Intentionally Abusing a Hazardous Substance.
- 5/6/23 @ 5:02 p.m. – Officers were dispatched to a vehicle vs. building crash. The driver (53 of Madison) was assessed by EMS and transported to a hospital for further evaluation.
- 5/6/23 @ 5:06 p.m. – Officers were dispatched to a domestic disturbance. A female (36 of Verona) was arrested for Disorderly Conduct and Battery, and was booked into jail.
- 5/6/23 @ 7:20 p.m. – Information about geese being on the roadway of USH 18/151. Officers checked the area and were unable to locate the birds.
- 5/6/23 @ 8:35 p.m. – Two, 17-year-olds were removed from the VAHS Prom event and cited for Underage Alcohol Consumption. Both were released to adult family members.
- 5/6/23 @ 11:45 p.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle because it was being operated without any lights on. Signs of impairment were observed by the officer and the driver (60 of Verona), was requested to perform a series of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. The driver was arrested for OWI – 1st Offense. The evidentiary breath test was refused by the driver, and a search warrant was drafted and endorsed by a judge, which permitted the officer to obtain a blood sample. The driver was released to a responsible party.