Inspections - Commercial
Inspection RequirementsInspections are required with any project that requires a building permit. These inspections take place before, during and after the project to verify that the people performing the work are complying with all applicable Codes.
Additional information is applicable to some items below and is indicated by a number or numbers in parentheses. Please see the numbered list below for the corresponding information in the Notes section.
- Erosion Control
- Floating Slab
- Deck post/Pier holes
- Drain Tile
- Exterior underground sanitary sewer (2)
- Interior underground sanitary sewer (2)
- Exterior underground storm sewer (2)
- Interior underground storm sewer (2)
- Temporary building electrical service
- Permanent building electrical service
Rough InspectionsRough Inspections shall be requested and completed prior to installing insulation or any covering or finish materials and may include:
- Rough Construction (1)
- Rough Electrical (1)
- Rough HVAC (1)
- Rough Plumbing (1, 2)
- Gas Piping and Pressure Test (1, 5)
- Insulation / Vapor Barrier
Final InspectionsFinal inspections may include:
- Final Construction (1)
- Final Electrical (1)
- Final HVAC(1, 3)
- Final Plumbing (sanitary and storm) (1, 2 and 4)
- Site Improvements
- 1 - These items shall be called in at the same time whenever possible as so to be inspected as a group.
- 2 - Certain plumbing installations require an air or water test in accordance with Wisconsin Administrative Code Section SPS 382.21
- 3 - HVAC balancing affidavit shall be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to a final inspection.
- 4 - Plumbing Air Admittance Valve testing affidavit (when AAV’s are used) shall be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to a final inspection.
- 5 - All gas piping installations must be tested in accordance with the current version of NFPA 54 or the greater of 3 pounds per square inch or 1-1/2 times the working pressure. The test shall remain without loss for a minimum of 10 minutes. All pressure tests must be witnessed by a City of Verona inspector.
Additional DocumentsAdditional documents that may be required for inspections:
- Energy worksheet (required to be submitted with permit application)
- Copy of truss designer’s design sheets (to be left on site for rough construction inspection)
- Tall unsupported wall documentation (to be left on site for rough construction inspection)
- HVAC balancing affidavit (to be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to final inspection)
- Air admittance valve testing affidavit (if any AAV’s installed, testing affidavit to be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to final inspection)
- Insulation compliance statement (to be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to final inspection)
- Building, HVAC, or Fire Protection systems compliance statement (to be submitted to the Building Inspector's office prior to final inspection)
Inspections HoursThe permit holder is responsible for calling for all inspections. Hours of inspections are:
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or by appointment.
Please be prepared to give the address, type of inspection and contractor name. The inspector has 2 business days to make an inspection before construction can continue.
You can call the Building Inspection Department to schedule inspections, but we would prefer you schedule inspections via our online portal. By entering a permit number or address, you can view the status of a permit as well as schedule and track inspections. In order to schedule inspections, you will need a "Contractor Access Code". For contractors, this is your Contractor Registration Number (i.e. Building, Dwelling, Electrical or HVAC Contractor Registration Number). For owners wishing to schedule inspections, please contact the Building Inspection Department to obtain a Contractor Access Code.
If you are having difficulty navigating the Portal, or if your Access Code isn't working, please contact Mike Jacek at (608) 845-0903.
Assistant Building Inspector
111 Lincoln St.
Verona, WI 53593
Starting Sept. 19th
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.